to the Biosystems Engineering & Soil Science "Ag & the Environment" Website!
(This site was formerly known as "Animal Waste Management" or
more recently as "Ag Waste Management.") We have given the site a new look
and will be updating and expanding the information. So check back later to see how we are doing.
Current News & Events
- The Times-News in Hendersonville has reported
that the North Carolina Division of Water Quality will be sending a notice
of violation to the operator of a western NC dairy for allegedly
discharging wastes into a ditch leading to the French Broad River.
- Ohio Dairy Suspected in Fish Kill
This story illustrates the need for vigilance
in managing dairy wastes. [Read More]
- On July 19, 2012, EPA issued a final rule to revise
its CAFO permit regulation to remove the requirement that CAFOs that
“propose to discharge” must seek NPDES permit coverage. This rule revision
is in response to a 2011 U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit decision
in National Pork Producers Council v. EPA, which vacated portions
of the Agency’s 2008 CAFO rule. [Read More]
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is
proposing that concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) submit
basic operational information.
- The Tennessee Division of Water Pollution Control
Rules pertaining to Animal Waste Management were revised and
published May, 2011.
Chapter 1200-04-05 will be of particular interest to Tennessee Livestock Producers.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has warned 13
Chino dairy owners they need to upgrade manure handling systems so pollution
doesn't reach area waterways.
- Idaho dairyman sentenced to 60 days in jail for illegally
diverting wastewater from his dairy operation. [Read More]
- Information on becoming a Technical Service Provider is
available on the NRCS website. [Read More]