Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee University of Tennessee UT Institute of Agriculture

Frequently Used Tools:

Spill Prevention, Control
and Countermeasure (SPCC)

What Should I Do If These Regulations Apply to My Farm?

  1. Write or hire someone to write a Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) plan.
  2. Self-certify or as necessary have a Professional Engineer (PE) certify the SPCC plan.
  3. Implement the SPCC plan on your farm. This will necessitate that you upgrade your oil storage facilities to include spill controls such as secondary containment and overflow prevention procedures and/or devices (see Question 11 of publication W250).
  4. Revise and update the SPCC plan as needed, or at a minimum every five years. This process will require documentation and may also require plan re-certification as changes occur that affect the potential for an oil spill on your farm (e.g., installing a new tank or moving an old tank). If you do have a reportable spill, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) may dictate changes to your SPCC plan.